Saturday, October 28, 2017

Call me Grandma

Just Call Me Grandma
October 2017

The question of what will they call you” came up in every conversation with women these past months as I shared the news that my daughter was pregnant. Long conversations ensued, sharing the stories from other women who’ve traveled this road before me. Do we get the choose? Will the child choose for us? What names are out there to choose from?

 There’s even a book to help you choose your grandmother name. Who knew? I guess it really is a “thing”!

Bubbe, Mimi & Gigi: The Best Grandmother Name Book Ever: The Best Grandmother Name Book Ever (Volume 1) Paperback – July 21, 2012
by Cathy Caputo Livingstone

(As I write this, I’m noticing that I didn’t have this conversation with any men. Just noticing…)

Then my daughter - in her enthusiasm for this next big transition in our lives - would ask Have you decided yet”? When I would say no, I’m still thinking, she would threaten that if I didn’t choose, her husband would and I probably wouldn’t like what he decided.

I was leaning towards “Miss Sue” - a name my friends’ children call me. It sounds sophisticated, old-world, respectful and a little fun.  A name children would call an adult that also allows for plausible deniability” that the child using that name is in any way related to me, is my grandchild, and, by inference, allowing me to claim that I’m not old enough to have grandchildren.

Because, really, isn’t that what this is about? An extension of the age-defying generation I belong to. Color your hair, remove the wrinkles, stay active and fit, dress like a teenager - can’t you see the ads that tell us to do everything except act your age”.

While attending a birthday party for my grand-nephew, this grandmother name” conversation came up with a young woman who I respect because she will tell you exactly what she thinks. What is it with your generation, that Grandma isn’t good enough for you?” she asked with a little exasperation and a smile.

Years ago, I let my hair go to it’s natural color - white. I stopped using make-up and moisturizer. I no longer wear heels. I move through the world more aligned with how I really am.

So, with the grandbaby on the way, why not go with what is? 

I’m a grandmother. 

Just call me Grandma.

Welcome - Brynn Louis, born October 22, 2017

Sue McLeod
October 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment